Sunday, May 9, 2010

One benefit of singlehood…

I’m standing the kitchen as I write this post. No, look, I’ll prove it to you.

DSCN0912

Me. Kitchen. No, I’m not going to show you a picture of my sink. That’s a little too much TMI. (Is that redundant?)

I was in the mood to cook yesterday, so I beckoned people to come for a meal at my house via Facebook. Evidently, I need to work on my come-hithers because no one showed. The only thing that followed me home yesterday was a dog.

So, plan B.

Since today is Mother’s Day, I called my sister, Nell, to see what her fam had going on. (My mother has abandoned me for her summer home on the Lake in Michigan.) They had everything figured out but the meal, so I said, “Great! I’ll be there tomorrow. All you need to have are the salad fixin’s.”

“Umm…okay.” (Up until the point that I invited myself over, I hadn’t been formally invited to their Mother’s Day Celebrations. It’s all good.)

So, I made

DSCN0911

lasagna…mmm…it looks a little funky because it hasn’t been baked in the oven yet. I only wanted to heat it up once before serving it.

And I made

DSCN0909

chocolate sheet cake! MMM….MMM…(cue When Harry Met Sally here.)

Yes, both from scratch.

And the benefit of singlehood on Mother’s Day, when the only thing waking me up this morning were soggy kisses from my dog. And I don’t even get to cuddle with my own mom?

I got to lick every spoon, every pan, every mixing bowl BY MYSELF. I didn’t have to share one lick.

My ass right now is tapping me on the shoulder. Excuse me.

“WHAT?!”

“Yeah…are you sure that’s such a great benefit?”

“Shut up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment